Thursday, December 9, 2010

A French Breakfast


When my husband and I traveled to France two years ago, one of the things I quickly became accustomed to was the classic French breakfast (petit déjeuner), which consists of a crusty roll or flaky croissant with butter and jam, and coffee, or in my case, chocolat chaud  the most delicious hot chocolate I've ever had. Paul, who likes strong coffee, opted for the café noir. Because they don't give refills, he always ordered two.

So now, whenever I want to enjoy a French-style breakfast, I'll treat myself to a slice of crusty white bread, toasted, with butter and jam, with hot chocolate. My favorite jam is Bonne Maman cherry preserves. And if you've never tried Kerrygold Irish butter, you must. It's delicious.

Here's my recipe for hot chocolate mix, which I store in a big jar so it's ready when the mood strikes. Because it uses dry milk, you only have to add boiling water.



Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
4 cups instant, non-fat dry milk
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix ingredients together and store in a jar.
To make cocoa, use 1/4 cup dry mix to 1 cup boiling water.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm going to try the hot chocolate recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...