Monday, December 6, 2010

Please Answer Promptly

Part of the fun of owning and decorating an old house is buying vintage and antique items. I like to mix old and new. My taste ranges from modern country to just plain modern. My husband and I enjoy the hunt for old things that work well in our eclectic home. 

Several years ago, we went to an antiques show where there was a dealer selling beautiful, refurbished antique telephones. We couldn't resist and bought two. This one, which requests that you "Please Answer Promptly," hangs in our kitchen. The ring volume is adjustable and has a lovely sound. Notice the Bakelite handle and brass accents!

The second phone is in our living room. It is very loud and startled me every time it rang, so we disconnected it. I love the way it looks on the end table, so now it's for decoration only. There are a few nicks in the enamel finish, which occurred during our use of the phone. I think the heavy Bakelite handle caused them. I'd like to have it repaired one day, but I wouldn't dare try to do it myself, or I might make it look worse.

1 comment:

  1. Claudia,

    I grew up in a house with a black, rotary-dial telephone, so your pic really takes me back. At one time in the early 1970s, my family's phone was on a party line, so you could actually pick up the phone and eavesdrop on a neighbor's conversation. Those were the days! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...