Thursday, January 27, 2011

Homemade Granola



Packaged granola in the grocery store can be quite expensive, not to mention high in fat and other unwanted ingredients. Why not make your own at home? It's less expensive, easy to make, and doesn't contain preservatives or trans fats. And, while it's in the oven baking, it fills the house with the most wonderful aroma. I've tried a few different variations -- one with dried blueberries, one with honey -- but my favorite so far is maple-nut. It's delicious over yogurt or oatmeal, and it makes a great snack on its own. It can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.

Maple-Nut Granola
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, mix 3 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 cup slivered or chopped almonds, scant 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt. 

2. In a small bowl, mix 5 teaspoons vegetable oil, 5 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Sprinkle maple syrup mixture over oat mixture and stir well to combine. 

3. Spread oat mixture on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes, rotating sheet and stirring mixture halfway through. Let cool completely. 
Makes 4 cups.  
Adapted from Everyday Food.

3 comments:

  1. I love homemade granola. I would sit and eat a new batch until it was gone. I have that same Wusthof santoku knife. I LOVE it!

    You're doing a great job on your blog. Your photos are wonderful! I particularly love the photo of your two dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    Thanks for the words of support and the compliments! I am having such fun with my new blog!

    And about the knife, I love mine also. I asked for it for my birthday a couple of years ago, and now have a Wusthof Santoku paring knife too. They are great knives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished visiting your blog. Did I spot an awesome jar of vanilla flavoring in one shot? Just remember the little people when you make it big! Crisp, clean photos--great job!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...