Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Armoire

The start of the new year has brought with it an inspiration to get organized. I began with the armoire in the guest bedroom, where I store my sweaters, jeans, hats, scarves, gloves and purses. This photo shows the "after" picture. I didn't take a "before" photo, but trust me, it was a mess. Loose stacks of sweaters, loads of tissue paper sticking out everywhere (I use tissue paper when folding sweaters; they tend to wrinkle less). It was a disorganized mess, and I realized it made me a bit stressed every time I opened the doors.


So out everything came. I took a hard look at each item and realized there were several sweaters and old jeans I hadn't worn in a really long time, so into the donation pile they went. I took all the errant tissue paper and separated what was smooth (to be used for folding sweaters) from what was wrinkled and torn (which I stuffed into my purses to help maintain their shape). The result: a much neater space, with items that weren't being worn weeded out. It's now easier to find what I'm looking for. It took only a few minutes to organize these shelves, but what a difference.


A few words about the photos. Inside the armoire, on the top shelf, is a photo my father took of me when I was about 3 years old. My dad had a photography studio in New York when I was little, and this is one of my favorite photos from that period. On the middle and bottom shelves are photos from calendars that I framed (images of Italy and Provence that make me dream of travel). On top of the armoire are these cherished family photos:


This is my mother's family at her brother Robert's wedding. My beautiful Mom is in the back row, second from the left.


This photo is of my mother's parents on their wedding day. My grandfather left France for the U.S., where he met and married my grandmother, who was of French descent. The two of them moved from New York back to France, where they started their family, then returned to New York and had more children. My mother, born in NYC, was the youngest of six. Sadly, both my mother's parents and my dad's father passed away before I was born. I wish I had known them, especially my Mom's mother. Everyone said she was so lovely and sweet.


I believe this is a photo of my mother's oldest sister, Annette, when she was a little girl. She and my mother were 18 years apart in age. Growing up, I was very close to my Aunt Annette.


This was my great-grandmother from Ireland, on my father's side of the family. I remember Dad saying she was a real sweetheart with a great sense of humor -- a trait that ran strong on his side of the family.

It's funny how this evolved from a post about organizing the armoire to a brief family history. I do love these old photos, and thought they deserved some explanation. Seeing them every day helps me feel connected to my past.

4 comments:

  1. So glad to see someone else likes organization. Great idea using tissue paper when folding sweaters.

    Love the older photos. I have a few of my grandparents when they were kids and my father when he was a kid. Technology has changed so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great job on organizing! Great idea about the tissue paper to put in your purses that aren't being used so that they will keep their shape.I love old family photos they always have such history to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your family photos are so nice. Very nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoy your writing style...so easy, so "from the heart".

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...