Monday, February 28, 2011

A Spicy Indian Stew

This  is a super easy, fast and healthy vegetarian stew -- perfect for a weeknight supper. Perhaps you've noticed a trend: the recipes I've shared so far are vegetarian. This is because I've followed a mostly vegetarian diet (actually pescatarian, since I do eat fish occasionally) for about seven years now. I encourage non-vegetarians to eat one or two vegetarian meals a week -- it's good for your health and for the environment.


Spicy Indian Stew

Directions:
1) Cook 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice according to package directions. Cover and keep warm.

2) While rice is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet. Add 1 medium onion, chopped, and 2 minced garlic cloves. Season with coarse salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add 1-1/2 tablespoons curry powder and 1 teaspoon ground ginger. Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. 

3) Add a 28-oz. can tomato sauce (not pasta sauce), three 15-oz. cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained) and 1-1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice. Serve over rice and top with a little fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt, if desired. Serve with whole grain naan (Indian flatbread). 
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food.

5 comments:

  1. I made something like this a few weeks ago--Chana Masala recipe by some famous Indian chef. It had something like 15 spices, most of which I actually had but I went out and bought/found the others including amaroo powder. And I hated it!! This recipe seems really easy and I'll bet I'd like it a whole lot better. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I hope that you like this recipe if you end up trying it. Let me know! The other night I made a vegetable curry with coconut milk and red curry paste, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas and it was delicious. I will probably put it on my blog at some point. We love Indian food!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delish! I love Indian cuisine and will definitely try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL and pretty tasty I might add!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really good.We have not eaten a lot of Indian Cuisine.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...