Sunday, April 17, 2011

From Paul's Kitchen

My hubby made a wonderful supper from scratch the other evening. While I love cooking and I make some excellent meals (if I do say so), I'm a recipe follower at heart, and admittedly not very good at throwing together a meal. But Paul is truly a good cook. He can take whatever ingredients we have in the house and create something wonderful. I enjoy reading recipes and planning meals, Paul prefers the spontaneous and creative aspect of cooking. Here's his most recent original creation. Give it a try and let us know what you think.


Lima Beans, Peas and Brown Rice with Caramelized Walnuts

Directions:
1) Cook 1 cup wild rice with 1-1/2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro and 1 tablespoon Smart Balance (or similar whipped non-butter spread).

2) While rice is cooking, microwave one 10 oz. package of frozen lima beans and one 10 oz. package of frozen green peas according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

3) When rice is done, add 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder, the entire package of cooked lima beans, 1/2 package of cooked peas, 1/2 cup of roughly chopped walnuts and about 2 to 3 teaspoons of light soy sauce (to taste). Stir well to blend. Serve and enjoy.

Paul caramelizes the walnuts, which gives the dish a touch of sweetness and a bit of crunch. I don't have directions for caramelizing the nuts, and his explanation was confusing and didn't include measurements, so I thought it best to note this as a postscript. If you want to caramelize the nuts, please do. They're delicious!

1 comment:

  1. yum. this looks delish! I was just talking about this with someone the other day... I too am a recipe follower. there are only a few things where I "wing it." I am so in awe of cooks who do that- yay for you that it's your husband!!

    joan

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...