Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Antiques Festival


We recently attended one of our favorite antiques festivals known for its high-quality merchandise -- no flea market items here! We always manage to bring home at least one treasure. Before I show you what we found this year, here are some snapshots from the event. 







One of my favorite booths was Dad's Follies. They specialize in antique ice cream and chocolate molds. I learned so much about these fascinating collectibles during a chat with Cherie Baughman, one of the owners. I discovered that prices are  dependent on several factors, including the amount of detail in the mold, where and when it was made, its size and, perhaps most important, its subject matter. One of the rarest items in their inventory is a chocolate mold in the shape of a Zeppelin.

Dad's Follies is so well respected for their unique collection, they have been featured in Martha Stewart Living magazine. Cherie's mother even appeared as a guest on Martha's television show. Below are some photos of their amazing treasures. That's me next to the huge rabbit-shaped mold, priced at over $40,000!


Some are made of pewter. The smaller ones can be used as butter molds. I particularly liked a small, pineapple-shaped one.


Clown molds ... cute, or scary? Depends on how you feel about clowns, I suppose.


Santa in all shapes and sizes. These would be perfect Christmas chocolate molds!


Now, a look at what we brought home with us. At the lovely booth of Victoriana, I puchased two whicker-wrapped bottles.


I saw several Bakelite displays this year. I've you've been following my blog, you may have read a post about my Bakelite collection. I can't pass up a Bakelite display! Betsy Harris of Red Barn Antiques really knows her stuff. I've purchased from her before. She has a lovely selection of bangles, earrings and other pieces.




I chose this unique Bakelite bangle that looks like three stacked together. The color is actually more of an olive green that it looks like in this photo.

At another booth, I enjoyed a chat with Joanie Garbee and purchased a pair of butterscotch-colored Bakelite earrings and the wonderful, two-piece bar tool set with Bakelite handles shown below. They will come in handy for making cocktails this summer!


My husband found a selection of prints from a book on hummingbirds marked "J. Gould and H.C. Richter, del et lith." Englishman John Gould (1804-1881) was one of the most respected ornithologists and bird artists of all time. The illustrations of various hummingbirds were all so beautiful that it was hard to choose. At $10 each, we should have bought more than two. 

Paul also spotted a narrow, rectangular, green McCoy planter with a grass pattern on it. It's in perfect condition and I snagged it for only $15.

All in all, it was a wonderful show, an absolutely gorgeous day and we came home with some great finds. What a way to spend a Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. Love the chocolate molds. I never thought collecting them. I'm very attracted to jadeite too. Looks like a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing details of your wonderful day at the Antiques Market! Looks like you had a glorious day and ended up with some terrific finds. I can't wait to see fresh flowers in your wicker vases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh, so many goodies there I'd love to get my hands on, especially that cabinet in the second photo which I adore!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...