Saturday, May 21, 2011

Strawberries

One of our favorite spring activities is to go strawberry picking in May. Each year we pick five to eight gallons of gorgeous, sweet, red berries, most of which go in the freezer for use throughout the year in breakfast smoothies and frozen drinks (strawberry daiquiri, anyone?). Recently, one evening after work, we went to the farm and had one of the most delightful strawberry picking experiences that I can remember. The weather was perfect and the berries were especially lovely, plentiful and sweet. It was such a peaceful way to wind down after a busy day at work. We went home with five gallons -- Paul picked three and I picked two. He is faster, but I had to stop every now and then to take photos!


I love making desserts with fresh strawberries. Here are my favorite Everyday Food recipes using fresh strawberries: strawberry shortcake and strawberry icebox pie. 







1 comment:

  1. That's a sure sign of summer. I grew up in Western NY and mid-June was strawberry peak. It was the same time we got out of school for the summer so it was always a sweet time.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...