Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Peach Ice Cream, Anyone?

Ice cream. I love it any time of year, but especially in the summer. When my husband and I were married, my parents gave us a Krups ice cream maker. For a while, I used it frequently, making all sorts of delicious ice creams and sherbets. Then it was put away and went unused for many years. 

Recently, we gave some friends an ice cream maker for their wedding, and after hearing how wonderful their homemade ice creams have been, I decided it was time to whip up a batch at our house. My husband isn't as much of an ice cream fan as I am -- he prefers less rich ice milk or frozen yogurt. So in an effort to find a recipe both of us would like, and one that isn't too complicated to make, I pulled out several cookbooks and searched the Internet before finding this Cooking Light recipe for peach ice cream. It uses only five ingredients and isn't custard-based, so it's not thick and creamy. It's more like ice milk than ice cream, and because it only has half a cup of sugar, it's not overly sweet. Use very ripe peaches so the ice cream will have natural sweetness and lots of flavor!



Here is my slightly altered version. I increased the peaches from 3 to 4 cups and didn't peel them (because I overlooked that step in the directions). Be sure to use a food processor to finely chop/process them (a blender did not work). I used Nielsen-Massey pure vanilla extract and organic dairy products.

  • Peach Ice Cream
  • 4 cups sliced peeled peaches (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Place peaches in a food process and process until finely chopped. Combine peaches and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour peach mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to instructions. Spoon ice cream into an airtight, freezer-safe container, cover and freeze for two hours or until firm. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I wonder if the oversight of the skin made for a delightful discovery? I think I might actually like that additional texture and flavour; it looks very pretty anyway.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I haven't made ice cream in years. And I love peaches. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much would I love a taste of that ice cream right now! You photography is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...