Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Chocolate Molasses Cookies


I was in the mood to do some baking recently, but not in the mood for a trip to the grocery. So I scanned my list of "desserts to try," spotted this
Everyday Food recipe for chocolate molasses cookies, and was delighted to find I had all the necessary ingredients already in the pantry. These delicious cookies are quick and easy to make, have a slightly chewy texture and a rich chocolate flavor. It was nearly impossible to not eat the entire batch at once!

Chocolate Molasses Cookies

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, melt 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate and 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter in the microwave on high in 30-second increments, stirring after each (it took me three 30-second intervals) until chocolate is almost melted. Stir to finish the melting, and set aside to let cool. 

2) In a separate bowl, whisk together 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa), 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside. To the cooled chocolate, add 2/3 cup light brown sugar (I did not firmly pack it since the recipe did not say to), 1 large lightly beaten egg, 2 tablespoons dark, unsulfured molasses and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.

3) Measure dough by the tablespoon and shape into balls, placing 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until tops are slightly crackly but cookies are still soft to the touch, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

5 comments:

  1. Just discovered you and I am now a follower! Great photos! My mouth is watering! xoxo Lana www.lifeatwildberrycottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lana, thanks for visiting (and following) my blog, and for the nice compliment! Glad you weathered Irene.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI. Thanks for popping by my blog. Your home looks so cozy! And your photos are amazing. Don't tempt me with these cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pine Tree Home,
    Thank you for visiting! You must try the cookies, they are great. Thanks for complimenting my photography. I can't say enough good things about my little Nikon Coolpix 5900 camera -- it takes great quality photos! And photography has turned out to by my favorite part of blogging.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate and molasses is an interesting combination. I'm happy to see other people commenting about your photography. I could always tell it's the part you love doing because they're always beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...