Thursday, September 1, 2011

Figs

Lucky me, I have two neighbors who have large fig trees in their yards. Fortunately, my neighbors are generous and share their figs. Once the fruit starts to ripen, the picking begins. I have always liked dried figs, but it was only last year that I realized how delicious fresh figs are. My favorite way to eat them is on top of vanilla yogurt with a generous drizzling of honey -- what a delicious breakfast! 
a


These figs need more time on the tree. Hopefully the birds won't get to them first.



This bounty was only part of what was picked the other evening. I devoured four or five tasty, ripe figs straight off the tree. So delicious!


And here they are, ready to be enjoyed for breakfast on a late August morning.

2 comments:

  1. They're beautiful. We can grow them so they seem so foreign. I had some friends growing up whose parents were from Italy and I remember their family from the old country used to send them gifts and instead of styrofoam peanuts, they used figs as packing material. So that's what I think of whenever I see figs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wild! What an unusual way to use figs -- packing material! Thanks for sharing this.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...