Friday, September 23, 2011

Pears and the First Day of Autumn

I love pears. To me, they are a classic autumn fruit. Did you know there are more than 5,000 named varieties of pears, and only a few of those are grown in the U.S.?

The summery lemons displayed the past few months in this bowl on the dining table have been replaced with a variety of fresh pears: Seckel, Stark Crimson, French butter. My mother used to make red wine poached pears as a healthy dessert. I've never made them, but I think they should be on my list for fall, as they combine two things I love: red wine and pears. Happy first day of autumn!


6 comments:

  1. I have a friend that poaches pears in a sweet white wine with honey and then reduces the liquid until it's an amber syrup that drizzled over the pears and vanilla ice cream. Looking forward to seeing a photo of your poached pears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That syrup you described sounds wonderful. I will post a photo and the recipe once I make some poached pears. One thing I've found about blogging is that it pushes me to do some things I've never done, but keep thinking about doing. That's a good thing!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was sauterne.

    This recipe is close: http://www.food.com/recipe/poached-pears-in-sauternes-43749

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the smell and shape of pears but not the taste. That photo of them is beautiful, though. They are truly so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I came to visit after I saw your comment. And I had to laugh when I saw two recent posts about, what else, pears and figs! What part of the country are you in?
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are pear lovers here too Claudia, they are such a versatile fruit. Thank you for your lovely comments re Son #5's engagement, it's been a very exciting week for us.
    Millie x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...