Monday, October 24, 2011

Tomato Soup

This delicious and simple tomato soup is adapted slightly from Everyday Food. I've made it vegetarian by using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. Because this recipe uses canned tomatoes, it's a year-round favorite. I was getting over a cold last week when I made a batch, and it sure did make me feel better!

Tomato Soup

Directions:
1) In a soup pot or Dutch oven, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 medium onion, chopped. Season with course salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of flour and 3 tablespoons tomato paste and cook 1 minute.

2) Add broth (I use one 32 oz. carton vegetable broth, but the recipe calls for two 14.5 ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth) and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 2 sprigs fresh thyme). Add two 28 ounce cans of whole, peeled tomatoes in juice, breaking up the tomatoes with your fingers (wear an apron because they squirt!). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

3) If using fresh thyme sprigs, remove them from soup before blending. Using an immersion blender, puree soup in pot, leaving some tomatoes in chunks if desired. Or use a regular blender, working in small batches, and puree until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.

a
To freeze, let it cool to room temp, divide between airtight containers, leaving 1 inch of space at the top, and stash in the freezer. How great is it to have something homemade to heat up for supper after a busy day at work. I love recipes that freeze well!

7 comments:

  1. I love a simple tomato soup.

    What brand of tomatoes did you use? They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup looks absolutely delicious and is on my list to make this week! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments; I hope you enjoy this soup! To answer your question, Steve, my husband did the shopping and he bought the Harris Teeter grocery store brand of whole tomatoes. He said every other brand of whole, peeled tomatoes was out of stock. I looked at him funny when he told me this (because it's a fact that men often cannot find things), but he swore that only the store brand were available. Well, they turned out to be great and very flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm. I have never once considered making homemade tomato soup, but this looks pretty doable. And now that I know that canned soups have such high levels of BPH, I hesitate to buy them anymore. I wonder if this is true of canned tomatoes too? Thanks for the recipe-- I'm pinning it. Do you love your immersion blender as much as I do?
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this and enjoyed it. I used chopped tomatoes so I didn't end up with tomato juice all over the kitchen from squishing the tomatoes. (I've done that before.) You can't get any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo! One to add to my recipe folder for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious. I made a roasted tomato soup just last month using a food network recipe. It made the house smell so good as the tomatoes, peppers, garlic and onions roasted in the oven before being pureed.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...