Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Favorite Banana-Walnut Pancakes


In my opinion, these banana-walnut pancakes are the best ever. I made the recipe my own, quite by accident really. The original recipe called for buttermilk, which on one Sunday morning, I did not have on hand. Instead of running to the store, I substituted equal parts of milk and yogurt. I also added cinnamon and vanilla to the recipe. If you don't like walnuts, pecans work nicely. If you're not a fan of nuts at all, you can leave them out. Chocolate chips, used sparingly, are a great addition!

Banana-Walnut Pancakes

1) Preheat oven to lowest possible temperature. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

2) In a liquid measuring cup, measure 1/2 cup of skim milk and add 1/2 cup of non-fat plain or vanilla yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; stir well to combine. In a small bowl, lightly beat 1 large egg.

3) To the flour mixture, add the milk-yogurt combination, the egg and 1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled. Stir with a whisk until combined and free of lumps, but do not over-mix.

4) Coat a large nonstick griddle lightly with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat until droplets of water sizzle. Working in batches, add batter in 1/4-cup portions. Top each pancake with 4 or 5 thin slices of banana and a few chopped walnuts (and chocolate chips, if desired). Cook until golden brown and tiny air bubbles form evenly on top. Flip and cook until other side is golden (reduce heat if browning too quickly). Transfer pancakes to a baking sheet in preheated oven and continue cooking the rest of the pancakes. Serve with warmed maple syrup and extra nuts, if desired.


The two baby pancakes below are for our dogs (with just banana slices). They're good girls and I like to give them a special Sunday morning treat every now and then.
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food.

2 comments:

  1. I love it that you make a special few for your dogs. When I cook something I know the cats will like, I'll reserve a little bit that doesn't have salt and pepper, etc. The pancakes look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for some easy pancakes to make for breakfast tomorrow and came across your post. These look so delicious. They remind me of banana nut muffins. I love walnuts, but only have pecans at home right now so It`s a good thing I can those instead. I`m sure my kids will love these. I`ll top with some maple syrup, nuts, and banana slices. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...