Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Favorite Kitchen Tools

Recently, as I was busy cooking, I started thinking about the different tools and kitchen items I really love using and appreciate the most. So I thought I'd make a list of my top 10 favorite kitchen tools to share with you.
  1. KitchenAid mixer. By far, this is my favorite small appliance. I've had it for years and it's a dependable workhorse. I have a grinder attachment for it too which is handy for making fresh cranberry-orange relish at Thanksgiving.
  2. Wusthof Classic Ikon knives: a 17 cm chef's knife and an 8 cm paring knife. I especially love the chef's knife, which I asked my husband to buy for me as a birthday present one year. He gets a little nervous when I use it, but I'm very careful -- haven't cut myself yet (knock on wood).
  3. Braun immersion blender. Makes blending right in the pot a snap! And it cleans up easily. My mom gave it to me as a bridal shower gift many years ago. Love it!
  4. Regular, full-size blender. We use it frequently for making smoothies. It's starting to show signs of aging (in the form of an unpleasant smell), so we might be shopping for a new one before too long. Couldn't live without a blender!
  5. All-Clad odd-sized measuring cups: 2/3, 3/4 and 1-1/2 cup measures. These really do save time and are very convenient. I also have a set of odd-sized measuring spoons.
  6. Flat-sided chopsticks. Perfect for leveling off flour, sugar, baking powder and spices when measuring.
  7. Duralex glass bowls. The 11-piece set, made in France, ranges from very small to very large. They are so durable and practical!
  8. My mom's old wooden spoon and potato masher. I've had a special fondness for this particular wooden spoon since I was a little girl. Now I think of my mother whenever I use it. The potato masher is another old tool which makes the best mashed potatoes. I've tried other mashers, but they can't compare to this one. (A tip that I learned from my mom: use onion powder in your mashed potatoes for a special flavor - delicious!).
  9. Microplane fine grater. I use this mostly for zesting citrus fruits. It's also useful for grating fresh ginger.
  10. Pizza stone. I attended a Pampered Chef party several years ago and bought a stoneware baker, which I was never going to use (it was a purchase under pressure). A friend who had the pizza stone offered to switch with me. I use the stone all the time for making homemade pizzas.a
What are your favorite kitchen tools?

6 comments:

  1. I never really thought about it but the immersion blender was a god send and the microplane changes my life.

    But a friend of mine who bakes A LOT says he was thrilled to see the Flour cookbook had the recipes done with weights in addition to measures. He says by using a kitchen scale, everything he bakes comes out better. I don't even own a kitchen scale, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own a kitchen scale, and don't really have room for one in my small kitchen. It would be interesting to compare how baked goods turn out using a scale vs. measuring cups/spoons, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like my copper sauce pan...and you are reminding to use my immersion blender...I just love mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My food processor! Couldn't live without it.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to the immersion blender! I actually use mine to make smoothies, though it takes awhile to get through the frozen stuff like strawberries. I could use a microplane though. That would make a good stocking stuffer, no?

    As for the chopstick, I'd never considering using one for leveling! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good! I think that you have done a great job! FANTASTIC!!!!
    Kitchen Equipment

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...