Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lentil Soup and Birthday Gifts

a
When my husband and I visited France in May of 2008, one of the things we brought home was a package of small French lentils. I can't believe I haven't used them until now! I went ahead and made lentil soup with them, and they were great! So is this simple vegetarian soup recipe. The mushrooms make it extra hearty. I made a couple of modifications, such as increasing the amount of salt, adding dried thyme and doubling the garlic. 
a


Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into thin rings (I cut the onion in half first, then sliced it thinly)
1 clove garlic, minced (I used two cloves)
1 cup dry green (French) lentils, rinsed and drained
1 lb. whole white button mushrooms, quartered
4 medium carrots, thinly sliced (2 cups)
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 cups water
14 oz. vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. coarse salt (I used 3/4 tsp.)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1) In a 4-quart Dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in lentils and cook for 1 minute.
2) Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, water, vegetable broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Enjoy!

A side note: I received the cute apron below from a friend last week for my birthday. It reads, "Pour. Drink. Repeat." Good advice! I was indeed enjoying a glass of red wine (Dreaming Tree Cabernet Sauvignon, given to me by another friend) while preparing the lentil soup. With the soup, we had French rolls which we dipped in Tuscan herb olive oil, which was given to me by yet another friend along with some delicious aged balsamic vinegar. Apparently, this year's birthday took on a culinary theme! My husband gave me two lovely gifts: a serrated Wusthof knife to add to my collection, and a set of All-Clad measuring cups and spoons. I love everything kitchen-related, so I was one happy birthday girl.

5 comments:

  1. What's not to love about lentil soup, especially with such a great photo to sell it.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipes sounds great! Love your apron, so cute! Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you try any of the recipes on my site, please share your feedback. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Claudia, Your images and recipes are a constant source of inspiration! And as I am widely acknowledged as being the worst cook in the world, they are a much-appreciated part of the week!
    Janelle McCulloch | LIbrary of Design

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...