Thursday, January 26, 2012

Roseville Pottery

a
am a huge fan of American art pottery: Roseville, Teco, Van Briggle, McCoy. The piece above is a Roseville Pottery vase in the Clematis pattern. According to the website Just Art Pottery, the Roseville Pottery Company began in 1890 in Roseville, Ohio, and made utility pieces. The company moved to Zanesville, Ohio, in the early 1900s and began producing art pottery.

I found this vase at an antiques fair several years ago. The price seemed very good considering it's in excellent condition and it is a fairly large piece. 

I like Roseville very much, but my husband isn't a fan of most of it, which is why we have just one piece. When I spotted this vase at a booth where I also purchased a fair amount of Bakelite cutlery, I asked my husband if he liked it, feeling sure he would say no. But to my surprise, he said he did. I was thrilled! The colors and the pattern appealed to both of us and we knew it would go well with the colors in our dining room. It sits on the sideboard of the built-in cabinet.
a
a
The Clematis pattern was introduced by Roseville Pottery in 1944. Pieces were made in brown, green and blue; my color preferences are browns and greens, which look best in our house. Below is a photo showing the Roseville mark on the bottom of the vase. 111 identifies the style of the piece, and 10" is the height.
a

The other side of the vase, below, has one flower rather than two.
a
a
There is an antiques mall near our home that has a case full of beautiful Roseville Pottery. Some of the pieces, like a large vase in the Sunflower pattern, are priced at several hundred dollars. But there is a small piece in the Clematis pattern in the same brown color as this vase that I've been eyeing for a while. I might just have to bring it home with me one day. We'll see ...

2 comments:

  1. Roseville seems perfectly suited to a bungalow. I've never been a fan myself but I can appreciate it. And it does look great with the color of your dining room. A collection all in the same color palette might also be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Roseville pottery too. What a nice, big piece you have too -- the scale looks great in your built-in china cupboard, which I adore.
    I say go and get the other piece. I bet you won't regret it!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...