Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Winter Grapefruit


Our friend Joe went to see his family in Florida for Christmas, and he brought back some beautiful pink and Ruby Red grapefruit picked fresh from the tree in his parents' front yard. I love all citrus fruits, so receiving these organically grown grapefruits was a treat!

When I was growing up, my mother sometimes served grapefruit at the start of a meal, usually with a dollop of jam in the center. I guess she did this in place of a salad. As a kid, I thought it was normal. Have you heard of this being done, or was it something unique my mom came up with?

For breakfast, she would drizzle a little honey over the grapefruit, which is tasty. But my favorite way to eat it is plain so I can enjoy its natural flavor.

The bamboo-handled grapefruit spoon in these photos is part of a set that had belonged to my grandmother. Their serrated tips work so well I don't even need to segment the fruit first.

Doesn't the sight of this juicy grapefruit make your mouth water?
a

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photography! My grandmother had the same set of spoons! LOVED them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother ALSO had the same set of spoons. How funny. I am a huge fan of grapefruit. These look amazing.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. Many moons ago, my former in-laws, who lived in Florida, always started the meal off with a grapefruit. I think many people do this, especially in the warmer climates. In some of the older black and white movies, I see the families starting their dinner with a fruit-cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing like a beautiful pink grapefruit in the midst of winter. It would be great to have you join me at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I want to eat that! I never heard of grapefruit served with jam. Mom used to sprinkle ours with brown sugar and heat it under the broiler on the oven. Moms are weird sometimes and I think they just make stuff up. :D

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a wonderful set of 8 grapefruit spoons just like this one that I will be posting into my Etsy shop within the next week!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/BibbiLousBounty?ref=si_shop

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...