Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Black Bean Soup


I know a lot of my posts are recipes, but I love cooking and I love food. My hope is to share some really good recipes with others who love food too. Especially healthy, easy-to-make vegetarian food. Here's a nice, simple and quick recipe for black bean soup. The first time I made it, I jotted a note in the margins that it was a bit bland -- the recipe didn't call for any salt or pepper! I also increased the amount of spices. The original recipe called for 8 ounces of cooked, diced ham, which I'm sure would add nice flavor if you include meat in your diet.

Black Bean Soup

Directions:
1) In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 small red onion, finely chopped, and cook about 3 to 4 minutes until lightly browned. Add 4 minced garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 3/4 teaspoon oregano. Cook, stirring, until fragrant and garlic is tender, about 2 minutes. Add 4 cups water, three 15-ounce cans of drained and rinsed black beans, 1/8 teaspoon green pepper sauce (Tabasco brand jalapeno sauce), 1/2 teaspoon salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes. 

2) Remove soup from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves. Using an immersion blender (or regular blender, working in batches - do not fill more than halfway), puree soup until smooth.

3) Ladle into bowls. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve with lime wedges. Note: sprinkle diced cooked ham over soup in this step, if using.


2 comments:

  1. I'm 14 years old and my mom is working abroad , when I found your blog I decided to start cooking dinners - thanks for all those inspirations!
    And I'm your new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that the recipes I've shared have inspired you to start cooking! Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog.

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...