Thursday, February 2, 2012

Valentine's Day Treats

A friend requested that I do more baking posts -- in particular, some yummy Valentine's Day treats. She also asked that I post them a couple of weeks before the holiday, allowing time for planning. It's nice to have supporters who make requests and spark your creative juices -- even if it does put a little pressure on (wink!). Keep the requests coming!

Last year I posted chocolate sweet heart cookies and molten mocha cakes, which are sublime, and make great Valentine's Day desserts. Give them a try.

If you are looking for a lighter Valentine's treat, how about these mocha chip meringues? They are only 23 calories each and have very little fat, but they are incredibly chocolatey with a hint of coffee. I could eat a dozen of them! I shared some at work and they were SO popular -- even the people who said they don't like meringues liked these. Note: instead of using instant espresso powder, I used the same amount of instant decaf coffee. This recipe does not use flour but does use cornstarch, and is a good choice if you're sensitive to gluten (just make sure your brand of cornstarch is considered gluten free).




Another "lighter" version of a chocolate dessert are these triple chocolate brownies. Making them a little healthier than standard brownies is a secret ingredient: pureed black beans! They replace about half the butter found in regular brownie recipes. My husband and I love nuts, so I added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts for added protein and fiber. These brownies are amazing -- moist and very chocolatey. With 155 calories per brownie (yield: 16) and 7 grams of fat (4 g saturated), you don't have to feel too guilty enjoying this treat.


I hope you try one of these wonderful recipes. Have a happy Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

  1. Oooo, those meringues look amazing. I might have to give that a try! Because who can resist chocolate AND coffee together? Not me.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mocha chip meringues look so good...and only 23 calories?! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo Claudia! I'll definitely be giving thesea go, they soundyummy and perfect to have with a cuppa without feeling too guilty :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...