Sunday, April 8, 2012

One-Pot Meal: Shrimp with Couscous


Shrimp with couscous: this meal couldn't be simpler or tastier. It's also light, healthy and perfect for a weekday supper. This recipe is from the May 2007 issue of my favorite food magazine: Everyday Food.

The original recipe called for whole-wheat couscous, which I didn't have, so I used regular couscous. Otherwise, I followed the recipe, except that I cut the amounts in half since I was cooking for two rather than four. It yielded enough for me and my husband, plus one nice leftover serving, above, which I had cold for lunch the next day. It was as yummy right out of the fridge as it was warm the night before. If you're feeding four people, double the following amounts.

Shrimp with Couscous 

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. green beans, ends trimmed and halved crosswise
1/2 of a 10 oz. package of frozen corn kernels, thawed
A little over 1/2 lb. medium shrimp, peeled
1/2 cup couscous (or whole-wheat couscous, which has more fiber)
1/4 cup (or less) fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces (I didn't want the basil to overwhelm, so I used less than 1/4 cup, but didn't measure. The basil added a great flavor!)
1-1/2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
1) In a large saucepan with a lid, bring 1/2 cup salted water to a boil, add green beans and immediately cover with lid. Cook over medium-high head until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add corn and shrimp and stir to combine. Cover and cook until shrimp are opaque throughout (recipe stated this would take 2 minutes, but mine took at least 4 minutes). Stir as needed and recover until done.
2) Add couscous and stir to combine. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes (couscous will absorb the extra water). Stir in the basil, vinegar and olive oil; season with course salt and freshly ground pepper. Fluff with a fork and serve.

7 comments:

  1. This is a surprise. I could be wrong but I thought every recipe you've done to date has been vegetarian. Sounds great...and easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong, Steve, my recipes have all been vegetarian. I actually follow a pescatarian diet, which I've mentioned in previous posts but I've never featured any fish or seafood recipes until now. I do enjoy eating fish and seafood and the health benefits of having some fish in my diet. I've also found it is easier to eat out and at friends' houses by keeping fish in my diet. At home, the majority of meals I prepare are vegetarian, but occasionally I prepare one of our favorite seafoods: salmon, cod, flounder, shrimp or scallops.

      This recipe is super easy and very tasty, so I hope you try it out. Thanks for being a loyal reader and commenter!
      - Claudia

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I also want to note that I am careful to buy seafood that is wild-caught, never farm raised. There are both environmental and health implications to farm-raised fish and shellfish. No more frozen shrimp from Asia since I learned of the unhealthy conditions in which the shrimp are raised.
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Oh this looks so delicious! I love shrimp and couscous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so trying this! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...