Friday, April 20, 2012

Veggie Burgers with Baked Fries

At our housewe enjoy a variety of veggie burgers in place of traditional beef burgers. Frozen black bean burgers by Morningstar Farms are a good, easy stand-by for a quick weeknight meal. But when we have more time, we like to make homemade veggie burgers, which are hands-down better in taste. We've made spicy black bean burgers, chickpea burgers, lentil-walnut burgers and now these pinto bean burgers. In addition to pinto beans, they are made with bulgur, shredded carrot, scallion, breadcrumbs, egg and a little cayenne pepper. They are topped with tahini mayonnaise and some fresh spinach on whole wheat buns.

My husband made the baked fries, above, from white and sweet potatoes, which were the perfect accompaniment. He sliced the potatoes and tossed them with canola oil, salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. He baked them in a 450-degree oven for 35 minutes, turning once. Then he broiled them for an additional 5 minutes to make them crispy (keep your eye on them so they don't burn). 

You can watch a great video on how to make these yummy, slightly spicy veggie burgers here. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Your posts always make me hungry! Did I tell you I made the asparagus tart with some baked eggs for a brunch? It was quite the hit. So yummy!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camille, thanks for being the first to comment on this post!
      I'm so glad you made and enjoyed the asparagus tart. I've made it a second time and can't wait to make it again! It is delicious, isn't it?
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. I always buy the frozen vege burgers, but yours look so good I may have to give a try to making my own. The lentil/walnut burgers sound good, and I do have a recipe, but never tried it. Think I will now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...