Monday, May 28, 2012

Bean and Polenta Pie


This vegetarian bean pie is one of our all-time favorite dishes, and it's simple to prepare on a weeknight. I've been making this Everyday Food recipe for the past five years; it's a great stand-by. Even if you're a "die-hard" meat eater, I encourage you to go meatless one night a week. It's good for you and the environment. In my opinion, this polenta-bean pie is the ultimate comfort food -- however, it's low in saturated fat and high in protein and fiber so you don't have to feel guilty eating it. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

You can find the recipe here.

Notes: 
1) The Everyday Food recipe makes enough for two pies, one to eat and one to freeze. When I want to make one pie, I cut most - but not all - of the ingredients in half to make just one pie. The ingredients I don't cut in half are the tomatoes (use a 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes) and the polenta (cut 1 tube into 8 rounds rather than 16). 
2) I use olive oil rather than vegetable oil. Just be sure to use light olive oil so it doesn't burn.
3) When I don't have fresh cilantro on hand, I use dried cilantro, about 1/2 teaspoon.
4) I go light on the pepper Jack cheese -- about 1/2 cup for one pie. 
5) Be sure to use a deep dish pie plate. 
a

1 comment:

  1. I love polenta and I love beans. This recipe had my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...