Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pasta Puttanesca


Pasta puttanesca is one of my favorite meals to make on a weeknight. In fact, it's what I made for dinner last night when I didn't have a clue what to make. This dish is quick and easy to throw together, and I always have the ingredients on hand in the fridge and pantry. Spaghetti is traditionally used, but we keep linguine on the shelf instead. Either will work, and so will a short tube pasta like penne or cavatappi. And here's an interesting tidbit: in Italian, "alla puttanesca" means "in the style of a prostitute." Fitting for a sauce that is spicy, tangy and a bit salty.  

Pasta Puttanesca

Directions:
1) Cook 1 pound of linguine or spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.

2) While pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. 

3) Add 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes and their juice, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon or spatula. Stir in 2 tablespoons capers and 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Bring sauce to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Toss with pasta and serve with grated cheese. Enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe with me years ago. We too often make this dish on weeknights. We add shrimp for my 'meat'-loving husband!! Just delicioso!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, I've been hunting lately for meals that I can easily whip up x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so YUMMY!!!! I will have to try it, my hubby will love this recipe. Your dog is also adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photography is so beautiful! Such a nice blog.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...