Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Spinach, Orange and Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese

This spinach, orange and roasted beet salad with goat cheese made the perfect light, healthy supper with a glass of pinot gris. I roasted two beets, using one to make two salads and reserving the other.

To roast beets: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Trim off the leafy tops about 1 inch from roots. Scrub the beets well and wrap each one tightly in foil. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until beets are tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven, open foil packets to let cool. Once cool enough to handle, remove skins by rubbing beets with paper towels. They will come right off. Slice one beet into small wedges.

To segment orange: slice off the stem and blossom ends and cut away peel, following the curve of the orange. Cut along membranes to release the segments. Set aside.

To make the dressing: using your hands, squeeze all juice from the orange membranes into a bowl. Add 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard. Add coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Whisk well.

I used spinach as a base for the salads, added the orange segments and sliced beets, and crumbled a small amount of goat cheese over the top, then drizzled the dressing over the top. If you like the peppery bite of arugula, you can use it instead of spinach.

This might be my new favorite salad. I hope you enjoy it!

Adapted from Everyday Food 
a
roasted beet, unpeeled
roasted beet, peeled

4 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous color combination in the salad!! My remember not to visit when I'm hungry:)
    xojoan

    p.s. I don't know if you saw my response, so wanted to say that Yes, we do look for a "sister" for Ella! We talk about her a lot, and I look at the pound in our neighboring town that brings dogs up from the South to get adopted here!! She wasn't there the other day, but we remain hopeful we will find each other soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I'm really wishing I had this salad right now for my lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad looks beautiful, and as I'm off to harvest beets right now, it's what we're having for supper tonight! Nice one. Keep up the good work,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this salad for a family get together and it was a big hit. Thanks, for posting the recipe, Claudia.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...