Monday, July 30, 2012

Brandy Snaps: an English Treat

Yesterday I made a batch of brandy snaps, an English cookie, in honor of the host country of the 2012 Summer Olympics. I was flipping through a 2001 issue of Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies when an article on Cookies from Around the World jumped out at me. These English brandy snaps caught my eye. In addition, there are delicious-looking recipes for French palmiers and butter cookies, Vietnamese sesame cookies, Austrian linzer sandwiches, German springerle, Italian Florentines, Mexican wedding cookies and Australian Anzac biscuits, to name a few.

I had never made brandy snaps before, and it was quite an enjoyable process. There are only a few ingredients: flour, ground ginger, butter, sugar and Lyle's Golden Syrup, a product of Great Britain. There is no brandy in this recipe, but sometimes the cookies are filled with whipped cream which could be flavored with brandy (oooh, yum!).

The batter is thick and sticky, and the cookies flatten and turn a deep golden color as they bake. After removing them from the oven, let the cookies cool about 2 minutes (or a little more), then wrap each one around the handle of a wooden spoon. What I found is that after two minutes of cooling on the pan, it helped to flip each cookie over very carefully and let cool another 15 seconds or so before wrapping each around the spoon handle. This makes them easier to work with. If they get too cool to shape, you can return them to the oven for a few seconds to soften.
a
a
Here is a link to Martha Stewart's recipe for brandy snaps, except in this online version, the cookies are molded into bowl shapes to hold a scoop of ice cream. How cute! For the rolled cookies above, use a level tablespoon of batter per cookie, then wrap the cooled, baked cookies around the handle of a wooden spoon.
a







3 comments:

  1. Yum, I remember making these with my Mum as a little girl...might have to make some with Grace x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Claudia - You are an amazing cook! You should have a cooking blog :-)
    Maybe you have one....let me check your profile.
    Thanks for sharing another recipe.
    xoxo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loi. I have thought about doing a separate cooking blog, but haven't committed to the idea yet. I love to cook and my newfound passion is photographing food.
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...