Saturday, August 11, 2012

Happy Hour: Blue Hawaii

a
I enjoy mixing cocktails at home, especially in the summer. Here's a recipe for a Blue Hawaii (not to be confused with a Blue Hawaiian which has cream of coconut in it). In this photo, it looks more green than blue, but it gets its color from blue Curacao, which is an orange-flavored liqueur. 

Blue Hawaii
Makes 2 drinks

In a cocktail shaker, combine 6 ounces of pineapple juice, 1-1/2 ounces each of white rum and vodka, 1 ounce each of fresh lemon juice and blue Curacao, and 1/2 ounce of simple syrup. Shake and strain over ice.

Simple syrup: combine equal parts of sugar and water in a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Let cool before using, and store leftover syrup in a jar in the refrigerator.

What's your favorite mixed drink? Do you like to mix cocktails at home or do you prefer to go out and let a bartender do the work?

3 comments:

  1. Long live the art of mixing cocktails! Your Blue Hawaii is the most gorgeous color and very reminiscent of the era when the cocktail was king. My favorite is the tried and true G & T. For medicinal purposes, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could make all those fancy drinks, Claudia. It's easier to open a bottle (or two) of wine :-) But when we go out, I do splurge once a while.
    I've never heard of Blue Hawaii or Blue Hawaiian....guess I need to go out more.
    xoxo,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this looks mighty delicious. I am not a big drinker and get drunk very quickly but this looks so heavenly.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...