Friday, August 31, 2012

My Favorite Knives

For my birthday this year, my husband gave me a Wusthof Classic Ikon kitchen knife to add to my collection. Being a non-meat eater, I had to laugh when I unwrapped the gift and saw the words "Sausage Knife" on the box. True, this model is described as a sausage knife, but it serves vegetarian purposes equally as well. It slices tomatoes like a dream and makes cutting through a crusty loaf of bread effortless. I have to say this is my favorite of my three Wusthof knives. And to think that I giggled when I received it. Poor hubby thought I didn't like it! To be honest, I thought I didn't need it, but soon I realized just how wonderful and useful this knife is.

a
To me, having good knives is essential when I'm working in the kitchen. I recall all those years when I'd drool over the fancy knives in the cases on the wall at Williams-Sonoma. But I couldn't imagine spending that much! I know there are more expensive brands out there, but just the thought of spending $100 on a knife seemed like such a luxury. 

However, since I do love to cook, I decided it was time to own a good-quality knife. So I asked my husband for one for my birthday. Instead of a fancy dinner out (which can easily run $100 for two), I wanted a knife that would last forever. My husband gave me a 6.5" Wusthof Santoku, which I fell in love with. The following year, I bought myself a 3" paring knife that was on sale. And this year I received the 5" "sausage" knife for my birthday.

Now I know what a great investment it is to buy the best knives you can afford. They are wonderful to work with. I like to take good care of them, sharpening them often (though not after every use as some recommend), drying them immediately after washing, and storing them in a knife block to keep them protected.

What is your favorite cooking tool? If you've splurged on something that makes cooking a more pleasurable experience, let me know what it is and why you love it!


2 comments:

  1. Almost 20 years ago a friend of mine introduced me to Fissler pans. Her German mother had been given a set for her wedding just post WWII, and she still uses them. My friend was given a set for her wedding also, and I just fell in love with the modern design and practical use she got from them. From that point I've collected Fissler pans, and now after all those birthdays and anniversaries I've got a good collection. All of my meals have been prepared in them for these two decades, and they show no sign of wear and tear so I'm pretty sure they're the last pans I'll ever need to buy. I know they're just pans, but they help me make great food which is how I take care of my family. What bottle of perfume ever did that?

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we moved to our current house, a friend gave us a fine set of knives....each with a white handle. To coordinate with our white and gray kitchen, of course! Form and function :)
    Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend, Claudia!
    xoxo,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...