Saturday, September 15, 2012

Homemade Dog Biscuits


Why make dog biscuits when so many varieties, including the healthy ones I feed my dogs, are readily available at the store? Good question. I guess it's like making anything from scratch. There is satisfaction in the creative process (I love any excuse to bake) and in knowing exactly which ingredients are being used. Plus, it is cost effective to make them at home. But mostly it just feels good to do something special for our loyal companions. Here's Phoebe waiting patiently with a treat on her paw until I say it's okay to eat it. She is very disciplined! Maybe she can teach some of that discipline to her new brother, Henry.
a

I found this recipe on Martha Stewart's site, but I added a couple of other ingredients (ground flax seed and dried parsley), creating my own recipe while following Martha's instructions. There is also a recipe for peanut butter dog treats on one of my favorite blogs, Elephantine. I think I'll try these next.

My biscuits turned out a bit dark. Next time, I might try a lower oven temp, maybe 375 degrees F. Fortunately, Phoebe and Henry aren't complaining -- they love them.

Note: do not make these if your dog has a wheat allergy. Avoid any ingredient that your dog may have reacted  to in the past or that is known to be harmful to dogs.
a
a
a

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my Panda and Mocha would love you Claudia! You are a good momma :) Phoebe is so beautiful, and has such a regal face. Hope Henry is enjoying his new life at the little bungalow :)
    xoxo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loi. Yes, Henry seems to be very happy in his new home and we are in love with him. He actually smiles! It's the cutest thing. My goal is to get it on video one day. It's the most endearing trait. He's a wonderful dog, and Phoebe loves her new brother.

      Delete
  2. First, they look beautiful. Did you try one? I'll bet they're good. Lucky dogs.

    Second, not fair to have a photographic assistant. You're supposed to roll the biscuits with your left hand while you photograph with the right. It makes it more challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I must admit that I did take a small bite of one of the biscuits (even though they have chicken broth in them), and they aren't bad at all.

      My photographer assistant was my hubby; normally I take all photos myself, but I gave in and asked for help while I rolled the dough. You caught me!

      Delete
  3. I think they look yummy. You are the best dog mom ever. Are there recipes for cat treats out there? My girls want to know.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...