Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Meet Henry


Meet Henry, the newest member of our family. Henry came from the county Animal Control shelter, where they were calling him "Gerald." To us, he looks like a "Henry." He was brought in as a stray on August 11, so we don't know what his name really is. The vet estimates he is 7 years old.

Henry is definitely part beagle, might have some black lab in him, and who knows what else. He weighs 30 pounds, so he is smaller than Phoebe in weight and in height. He is truly one of the sweetest, most gentle and affectionate dogs I've ever met.

When I saw this guy's face online, I thought, "Wow, he looks like Phoebe!" I could tell by the grey on his face that he's older, and older dogs don't get adopted as readily as puppies or younger adult dogs. That alone made him appealing to me. The photo of this boy tugged at my heart. A few days later, my husband and I went to the shelter to visit him. The minute he walked into the visitation room, we were hooked. He was smaller than I had expected and even cuter than the photo I had seen online.

Then he started coughing, and my concern about him having kennel cough turned out to be correct. He was put on antibiotics the next day, but we had to wait several more days before we could bring Phoebe to the shelter so they could meet. We had to make sure they would get along before we could adopt him. When he was cough-free, we introduced the two and they got along just fine. 

On Friday, August 31, we picked up Henry from the vet (he had to be neutered and we also had his teeth cleaned while he was under). His first night at our house was very good, considering what the poor guy had been through. He was groggy and a little sick to his stomach, but he slept through the night. The next day, he ate a small meal and started feeling more peppy. We need to restrict his activity for a week to let him heal. So far, he's being a very good patient. Here he is chilling out on the runner in the living room.

Here are the two kids, Henry on the left and Phoebe on the right. They look quite a bit alike, don't they. I love Henry's white markings and his grey face!


Henry is a wonderful dog. He's friendly with people and dogs, he's smart and affectionate. He's a happy boy, with a tail that seems to wag constantly. When he's really happy, it goes in a complete circle. The only downside so far is that he's a furniture dog, jumping up on the sofa and our bed, which is against house rules. And he doesn't know basic commands like "Sit" and "Stay." They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks? We'll see about that ....

12 comments:

  1. Oh what a sweet face! So glad that you have found such a wonderful dog, and that he has found such a wonderful home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you sweet for giving an older dog a place in your home and heart. Even though he can't tell us his life story, at least we know it has a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with Henry! He's so calm and gentle looking, and those eyes could tell stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a doll!! And how comfortable he already looks in his new home! We wish you all the best together!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Claudia for sharing this. And for adopting Henry! I am so sad to hear about the number of dogs and cats in shelters. Especially older ones :( Phoebe and Henry are beautiful together :) Your post made this dog lover very happy.
    xo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's beautiful! What a soulful face. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhhh Claudia!!! I am teary. I absolutely adore Henry. What a handsome fellow and that face.... it could melt a glacier! He and Phoebe look like they could be sibblings! Bless you and your husband for adopting him. He looks so happy to be a part of your family. And, don't believe that part about old dogs. Ella is eight and we teach her new tricks! Since Ella is allowed on furniture I don't know how to train that away, perhaps there are some tutorials on line? Ella has just started to get some white on her face... white faces slay me, to me they are just pure love!

    hugs and kisses to sweet Henry and to sweet Phoebe for taking in a brother!!
    xxjoan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! I knew you'd love him, too! Dogs are the best, aren't they? I'm proud of Phoebe for accepting him so well. She's very tolerant (and obedient) and Henry is very respectful of her and he is also very obedient. He knows the word "no" and we only need to say it gently and he responds immediately. So they are doing beautifully together. I wish you and I lived closer so we could get the three of our dogs together for play dates!
      Claudia

      Delete
  8. Lovely ! How wonderful for you , and for Henry - he'll have a love-filled happy life now !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for adopting a shelter dog! I LOVE interior design and just drool over everyone elses blogs. Then I found yours and saw your new guy "Henry". I think my number one love in life is animals, then design (I have a pit bull, a rottweiler, 7 cats, 2 rabbits and a guinea pig). I will now start reading you blog daily now that I found you! Can't wait to see everything on your blog. Thanks again for caring about shelter pets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! Thank you for your sweet comment. I'm so glad you found my blog - thanks for visiting. We love animals too, and all our dogs have been rescues from either the shelter or off the street. We found our sweet dog Winnie roaming around an industrial park; she was only 4 months old, and she just passed away in January at age 10. Henry has been the most wonderful addition to our "pack." Again, thanks for visiting and for your nice comment.
      Claudia

      Delete
  10. so happy to see this post! Welcome Henry. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog re losing our Scarlett. This post fills my heart....knowing that one day we will meet a sweet face at a shelter and bring her home to join our family

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...