Saturday, November 17, 2012

Banana-Blueberry Muffins




Got a couple of overripe bananas? Here's a great way to use them: banana-blueberry muffins. I first made these muffins in 2010 and they've been a favorite ever since. They're made with whole wheat flour and wheat germ, but don't be fooled -- they are delicious! We keep blueberries stocked in the freezer from the previous summer's picking, so the necessary ingredients are always on hand. 

Here's a tip: when I notice bananas ripening very quickly and I know I won't have time to bake with them right away, I toss them in the fridge. The peel turns brown, but the fruit doesn't. Refrigeration slows the ripening process and buys me a few extra days until I can make some yummy muffins or bread with them. Click here for a chocolate banana bread recipe I posted in October, in case you missed it.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas
1/3 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup frozen blueberries

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a bowl, whisk together flours, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.

2) In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, mash bananas; stir in milk and vanilla.

3) With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Fold in frozen blueberries.

4) Divide batter among muffin cups (I use a small ice cream scoop to do this). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffins comes out clean, 25 to 28 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer muffins to a rack to cool 10 minutes more.

Enjoy!

recipe adapted from Everyday Food

3 comments:

  1. Ok, this recipe is going in my "keeper" file. I can almost smell them they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds yummy, Claudia! I'd enjoy these with my morning coffee. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Take care,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...