Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Giving Thanks & Our Holiday Menu

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for so many things: my husband, my home, my health, our friends and family, and of course our two adorable dogs. I am thankful that I am employed when so many are not -- and that I love my job and the people I work with. I am very blessed.

We are hosting Thanksgiving dinner at our house again this year. I love Thanksgiving, and enjoy welcoming family into our home for a good meal and togetherness. Here's what is on the menu this year:

  • Turkey breast (for hubby and our guests)
  • Wild rice dressing (recipe below)
  • Stuffing (this year I'm trying Arrowhead Mills organic savory herb; I'll use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian)
  • Corn casserole (made by my mother-in-law)
  • Steamed French green beans
  • Maple-whipped sweet potatoes -- Everyday Food recipe
  • Biscuits
  • Cranberry conserve -- Ina Garten's recipe
  • Pumpkin pie
Every year I put out these cute turkey candle holders from Williams-Sonoma.

Wild Rice Dressing

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 boxes (6 ounces each) wild rice blend (discard any seasoning packets)
1 cup toasted walnut pieces
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley 

Directions:
1) In a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season generously with salt and pepper.
2) Add 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Stir in wild rice blend. Return to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook over low heat until rice has absorbed all liquid, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
3) Transfer rice to large bowl. Stir in toasted walnuts, dried cranberries and parsley. Season again with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or hold at room temperature for up to 5 hours.
Note: to toast the walnuts, spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown and fragrant, about 10 minutes.
From Everyday Food

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving sweet friend!LOVE the turkey candle holders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving- I am thankful for you, my lifelong friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am thankful for you, my dear friend. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I love the color of your walls.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. The walls are Sherwin Williams Pennywise. It's a great, warm color, and perfect for a bungalow.

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving!! May you have a wonderful time with your family...your menu sounds delicious! I have enjoyed your blog for some time. It's so peaceful, inspiring and a lovely, cozy place to visit. Thanks for your words and beautiful pictures of your living life. Blessings, Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, thank you so much for your comment. I am very pleased that you enjoy My Little Bungalow. Thank you for visiting. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
      Claudia

      Delete
  5. It all sounds great. I'd love to talk my friends into a vegetarian Thanksgiving but I'm not sure I could. The maple whipped sweet potatoes sound really good. And I love cranberry anything. I always make a double batch and I eat them on everything for a week.

    Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. I hope you had a wonderful holiday too. The maple sweet potatoes were excellent. I microwaved the potatoes instead of baking them in the oven to save time, and used a potato masher instead of the food processor (too much trouble to clean). I also added a touch more maple syrup than the recipe called for. The wild rice dressing was also a hit, and was easy to make. The packaged stuffing we tried this year was tasty but too dry (needed more stock). The turkey, I was told, was delicious (we buy ours at Whole Foods). And my favorite part, the Ina Garten's cranberry conserve, was perfect as always.

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...