Friday, November 2, 2012

Mexican Hot-Chocolate Cookies

.
Yum! Wait, make that double yum! These Mexican hot-chocolate cookies are delicious. This cookie recipe may very well be one of my favorites. The combination of chocolate, cinnamon and chili powder is amazing -- and a little exotic. I do recommend you enjoy them with a tall glass of cold milk.
.
You can watch a short video of Martha Stewart and John Barricelli making these cookies and find the Everyday Food recipe for them here.
.
The recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon of chile powder (they suggest ancho), but since I didn't have that, I used chili powder -- you know, the kind that contains a blend of spices and is used in making chili? Well, it worked just fine. But next time, I will use chile powder so I can compare the two. The chile (or chili) powder is combined with sugar and cinnamon and the cookies are rolled in the mixture before being baked. The result is a soft cookie with a slightly crunchy exterior. Yummy!
.
A note about cream of tartar, which is called for in this recipe. I didn't have any in my pantry, so I looked online to see if there were any substitutions. Most of what I read suggested not substituting anything for cream of tartar, so off to the grocery I went. 
.
While online, I learned some interesting facts about cream of tartar, which is the culinary name for potassium bitartrate, a by-product of winemaking. It crystallizes and collects in the fermentation tanks before being removed and purified to create the white powder we purchase as cream of tartar. It's frequently used to stabilize and add volume to egg whites when making meringue. It also prevents sugar from crystallizing so it is sometimes added to syrups, icings and caramels. I didn't know anything about cream of tartar, so I found this very interesting.
.
I hope you try making these Mexican hot-chocolate cookies and if you do, please leave a comment and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...