Saturday, December 29, 2012

Spicy Moroccan Stew

There's nothing quite like a spicy stew to warm you up on a chilly evening. This vegan Moroccan stew is hearty and healthy, loaded with vegetables and a good dose of spices: cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cayenne and allspice. It smells amazing as it simmers on the stove, and is perfect served over couscous. 
.
If you don't like eggplant, you can omit it from the recipe, or peel it if you don't care for the skins. My husband is a little funny about the texture of eggplant. The first night we ate this stew, the eggplant was too firm and the skin not as tender as he likes. The second and third nights, the eggplant was much softer and we both liked it better. The next time I make this dish, I might peel the eggplant. I hope you give this delicious stew a try. 
.
Before this year comes to an end, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for visiting My Little Bungalow. I appreciate you all so much. Have a happy and healthy New Year!
.
Spicy Moroccan Stew
.
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced large
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used 1/2 teaspoon, and we found the stew to be pretty spicy, especially the second and third nights!)
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
4 to 5 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1" pieces
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 small eggplant, cut into 1" pieces (if you don't like eggplant, omit it; you can also peel the eggplant if you don't like the skin)
1 can (15.5 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
.
Directions:
1. In an 8-quart Dutch oven or stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cayenne and allspice and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add carrots, potatoes, squash, tomatoes and their juice and vegetable broth (vegetables should be covered by liquid; add some water if needed). Season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
2. Add eggplant, if using, and stir to combine. Simmer until eggplant is tender, about 30 minutes (if not using eggplant, make sure the carrots and potatoes are cooked until tender before continuing). Stir in chickpeas. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook until chickpeas are warmed through, about 5 minutes. Serve stew over cooked couscous.
Note: this recipe makes a large pot of stew; you can freeze some of it for up to 3 months.
adapted from Everyday Food

5 comments:

  1. I like spicy food unless they are really hot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I actually love firm eggplants :) And I bet this is better the next day. Thank you, Claudia, for all your posts and recipes in 2012. I look forward to making some of them soon in the wintery months....my favorite time of year to cook.
    Very best,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmm!!! I want to make this now! I made a lovely turkey chili the other day but now I think I need this (instead of a second chili I was planning...!).

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this a few days ago and I've been thinking about adapting it. I've been wanting a vegetarian Moroccan stew but I was envisioning potatoes and chick peas as the main components. Maybe some olives and lemon rind and few golden raisins? I think that would be great with the tomatoes and spice combinations. Will give it a go.

    Happy New Year, Claudia!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...