Monday, January 7, 2013

Knitting a New Scarf




When I first learned to knit years ago, my very first project was a charcoal grey wool scarf. Naturally, because I was just learning to knit, there were some mistakes in it. But I loved that scarf nevertheless and wore it all the time. It had great sentimental value to me. Sadly, I lost it last year. It must have dropped to the floor in a restaurant or something. I just hope someone kept it, and that it didn't end up in a dumpster. While I'll never be able to duplicate that "first" handmade scarf, I can make another one that looks like it. I found an extra skein of the same yarn in my knitting bag, so I'm busy working on "charcoal grey scarf number two."

In my post about knitting two years ago, I mentioned that I wanted to learn the purl stitch. Well, one evening after Christmas, I finally took the time to watch some videos online and learned how to purl. It took a little time to get the hang of it, but it's not hard at all. I've been practicing with some knit/purl combos and am excited to start a simple project using the two stitches. Knitting is a relaxing pastime, especially in the winter months, and the results are so worthwhile. Recently, two people have told me they still wear the scarves I knitted for them years ago. I was very touched by this. Any fellow knitters out there? Let me know what projects you're currently working on.

On another note ... here's my buddy, Henry, who was hanging out next to me while I took some photos of my scarf-in-progress. Henry follows me wherever I go and is usually by my side as I photograph things for My Little Bungalow. He tends to be camera shy, though, and will look away when I turn the camera on him. This day, however, he was a little too sleepy to care, so I was able to photograph him as he enjoyed the warm winter sun. What a sweet boy he is! We're so happy he's part of our family.



11 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog very much - always look forward to new posts. Just have to say that your boy Henry is so sweet.....Just lost my 12 year old yellow lab, Bo, a week before Christmas.....miss him so much - Enjoy Henry every minute !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. I really appreciate your nice comment. I'm sorry about your loss, and what a tough time of year to lose your beloved pet. Henry joined our family in September. He was a stray and they estimate he's 7. He joins our sweet Phoebe who will be 14 in April. We had another dog, Winnie, who passed away last January and we still miss her so much! Henry and Phoebe get along beautifully. When Phoebe is gone, we will have to adopt another dog to keep Henry company. Take care and thanks for visiting my blog,
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Hello, Claudia -
    I love it when you show photos of Henry and Phoebe. Henry sounds a lot like my Panda. Panda is a gentle boy and very loyal.....follows me everywhere....also does not like the camera. Sadly, Panda, who is almost 14, has lost some of his eyesight and hearing, and was just diagnosed with Cushing disease. Panda loves anything soft like scarves, throws and pillows. He would love your charcoal grey wool scarf :)
    Have a wonderful week ~ Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loi, I'm so glad you appreciate my doggie photos!! I know I'd love your dog, Panda. I'm sorry to hear he has been diagnosed with Cushing's. Our lovely dog Winnie had that (you probably recall the post I wrote about her). It's a difficult disease to treat. I wish you the best. It's so hard to see the dogs we love so much grow old. Phoebe will be 14 in April. She has a tumor that is getting quite large and I worry about her. But for now, she's doing well and is happy -- still going on 3 mile hikes without any trouble!
      Take care,
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. Twenty-five years ago, when my husband and I were first married, my mother-in-law taught me how to crochet. Believe me when I say I'm not clever enough to knit or she would've taught me that. She knits so beautifully that I will always treasure the baby things she knit for our son. She taught me the simplest possible stitch, and I have made so many blankets over the past two decades that just about everyone in our family has one. I thought everyone was getting sick of my crochet, but my son, who is now thirteen asked if he could have one of his own, so I spent the fall and early winter on his blanket and finished it in time for Christmas. It's a lovely linen with a navy border - very manly. My only obstacle was keeping our two cats, Lucy and Karen, from attacking the wool as I worked. Henry has way better manners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoy your blog. I have recently learned to knit and enjoy it very much. As you can imagine, everyone received a scarf for Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Claudia: Oh, I used to knit..when I had more time. Did I ever really have more time? hmm Well, my sister knits beautifully and all the time! She goes to Tokyo twice a year and says it saves her on those flights.
    Dogs are SUCH an important part of our lives. We lost our Westie several years ago and still, to this day, mention her every single day. Oh, we loved her (we called her my second daughter!) We travel too much to get another one: it just would not be fair; but I have a Pinterest board "Westie Sightings" where I can live vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Thanks for including me on your blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely blog you have! The scarf looks great and Henry is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's Henry!! He looks so content and happy. I am so glad that you found each other; he is so very lucky to be rescued by you! The color of the scarf is GORGEOUS... so sorry you lost the first one.
    xxojoan

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...