Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Eve Snack: Zucchini-Ricotta Dip


Happy New Year! How did you celebrate the end of 2012 and the start of 2013? Did you party it up with a group of friends, or spend it quietly at home? My husband and I usually stay home and enjoy snacks and wine, maybe watch a movie, and open a bottle of bubbly around midnight. This year, on New Year's eve day, we took the dogs to the lake and enjoyed a chilly 3-mile hike. There weren't many people on the trail, just a few bikers, runners, and fellow dog-walkers.

Later that evening I made this zucchini-ricotta dip and served it with water crackers and celery sticks alongside cheddar and Parrano cheeses and pimiento-stuffed olives. We poured some Kumbaya, our favorite "house" red wine (a blend of Cabernet Sauvingnon, Syrah, Merlot and Zinfandel), lit a bunch of candles and turned on the Christmas tree lights (we typically wait until January 6 to take the tree down). All in all, it was a relaxing way to spend New Year's eve. I hope yours was enjoyable too. Here's wishing you a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2013!

Zucchini-Ricotta Dip

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium zucchini, grated on the large holes of a box grater
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup ricotta
1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 a lemon)
lemon zest of one lemon

Directions:
1) In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add grated zucchini, minced garlic and dried thyme. Season with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.

2) Add the ricotta to the zucchini along with lemon juice and zest; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with crackers, vegetable sticks or toasted baguette slices.

from Everyday Food

5 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful and so refreshing after all the indulging we did over the holidays.

    Hope you are enjoying the first week of 2013. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your New Year's Eve sounds perfect and that dip and crackers and celery (which I love) looks sooo yummy! Sounds like a totally perfect night. I think we were asleep before midnight after a movie, a glass of wine and nice supper.

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm your newest follower! You have such a darling blog here :) I love 1920's bungalows and would love to own one myself someday.

    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. Your blog is great too. I see you're expecting - congratulations! I look forward to seeing your new baby!! All the best in 2013.
      Claudia

      Delete
  4. That dip looks really good, I will have to try it. Staying at home on New Year's Eve has always been my preference, I am not a party girl, so I could't agree with you more! Hope this year is a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...