Monday, February 11, 2013

Bulgur Porridge


Have you tried bulgur? Bulgur is a wheat product made from wheat berries that have been steamed, dried and cracked. It comes in fine, medium and coarse grinds; I buy the medium-grind from Arrowhead Mills. Bulgur is used to make tabbouleh, the well-known Middle Eastern dish with tomatoes, cucumber and parsley. I've used it to make these veggie burgers. I recently prepared it as a breakfast porridge (don't you love the word "porridge?"). It was good. If you like oatmeal, you'll probably like bulgur, but I'll be honest, the taste isn't for everyone. My husband, who is not a picky eater at all, calls it "vulgar." He's hilarious. But seriously, I found it to be a tasty, hot breakfast cereal and I like that it provides a healthy start to the day. A 1/4 cup serving of bulgur has 5 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber and a decent amount of iron and niacin. It's virtually fat free and low in sodium. Give it a try and decide for yourself.

Bulgur Porridge (1 serving)

In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup bulgur with 1/2 cup skim milk (or almond or soy milk), 1/2 cup water, 1/8 cup raisins (I used golden raisins) and 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until bulgur is tender and mixture is the consistency of oatmeal, about 10 to 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with a teaspoon of brown sugar and a little extra milk, if desired.
 


3 comments:

  1. I do cook with bulgur, making versions of tabbouleh, mainly in the summer. Never thought to make it in a porridge. Yes, I love the word, takes me back to childhood and Goldilocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't be good. I make tabouli all the time in the summer and it would lend itself well to those same flavors we mix with oats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the kind of person that would love bulgar porridge. I've taken to eating steel-cut oats every morning. Have you had them? They are very different than oatmeal - lots more texture and flavour. I make them with 1/2 cup of finely chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup raisins in 1 cup of oats (cooked with 4 cups of water). I love the extra texture and flavour from the walnuts. I need to search out some bulgar and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...