Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Flourless Chocolate-Pecan Cookies


It's been a while since I posted a dessert recipe. A friend of mine keeps reminding me of this and asking for more baking recipes, so I made it my mission last weekend to whip up something delicious to share with you.

I don't follow a gluten-free diet, but I know that going gluten-free is becoming more popular for various reasons. This recipe for flourless chocolate-pecan cookies looked and sounded wonderful to me. And trust me, they are as delicious as they look. 

The recipe produces giant-sized cookies. Even though they are made with egg whites and no butter, each cookie has about 380 calories and nearly 21 grams of fat (3.5 g saturated). So they are by no means light. However, if you love chocolate and have enough willpower to eat just one, these cookies are for you!

Flourless Chocolate-Pecan Cookies

Ingredients:
3 cups confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup Dutch processed* cocoa powder, spooned and leveled
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Ghirardelli brand)
1-1/2 cups chopped pecans (or other nut)
4 large egg whites at room temperature

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, cocoa and salt. Stir in chopped chocolate and pecans. Add egg whites and stir until just combined (do not overmix). Mixture will start out very dry and then become sticky.
2) Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls, 3 inches apart, onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets. Bake until cookie tops are dry and crackled, about 25 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer sheets to wire racks and let cookies cool completely. To store, keep in an airtight container. Makes 12 - 13 cookies.

*Note: I did not have Dutch processed cocoa so I used a combination of Hershey's natural unsweetened cocoa and Hershey's Special Dark (a blend of natural and Dutch processed cocoas). When cocoa is processed with alkali it is called Dutch process. To learn more about the impact of alkalization on the beneficial properties of cocoa, read this article. It's a bit technical, but interesting.

3 comments:

  1. These cookies look delicious! I will definitely try this recipe, but when the kids are home, as I have no willpower when it comes to chocolate! We did enjoy "Claudia's" Banana Bread again last week :o) Please do keep these recipes coming....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delish! I just saw a recipe yesterday for Passover chocolate cookies that have no flour (little did I know that flour is not allowed during passover!). The ones I saw were chocolate meringue cookies that had a crunchy meringue-y crust (several eggs in the recipe) and then soft inside. YUM!!!

    Yours look even better! xo Terri

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...