Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Table & Menu

Despite waking up in the wee hours of Easter morning with an awful sore throat, I had one of the nicest Easters I can remember. 

I haven't been sick in about a year, even though I've been surrounded by sick people at work and at home (my husband is just getting over his third cold). So I've been pleased at how well my immune system has been warding off illness ... until now. After a hot shower early Sunday morning, I began feeling well enough to attend the first Mass of the day at 7:30. After church, my husband's mother came over for brunch and I felt pretty good until noon, when I crashed and slept for three hours straight. Ugh.

Our brunch was delicious, if I do say so. I served a broccoli-cheddar quiche using this recipe from Everyday Food, a simple salad with blue cheese dressing, mimosas, and, for dessert, a very tasty lemon-ginger Bundt cake, another Everyday Food recipe. As you can tell from the photo below, I did not make my own crust. Rather, I used a pre-made spelt flour crust from Wholly Wholesome, purchased at Whole Foods. I think this crust is my new favorite. It was perfect for a quiche and doesn't contain any preservatives or hydrogenated oils. It stayed crisp and was delicious.

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Easter day, whatever your beliefs may be. Wishing you peace,
Claudia



11 comments:

  1. As you know I can't eat eggs but I have to say your quiche looks really delicious. The crust looks great too. The edges of pre-made crusts often get too dark but yours looks perfect.

    Isn't it an insult to get a cold so late in the season? I woke up last Monday with a sore throat and a cold that lasted five days. I felt as bad Friday as I did on Monday but the weird things was it went away as quickly as it came on. I woke up Saturday and had no cold symptoms. I hope you're feeling better quickly.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. It's typical for me to get a cold in spring or even early summer. For whatever reason, I'm able to make it through fall and winter without getting sick, but once the weather starts to warm I get a cold. It's almost like an "allergy cold" with more sneezing and runny nose than congestion.
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Hi Claudia,

    I hope you are feeling better this morning. It sounds like you had a peaceful Easter Sunday. Your menu sounds delicious! Broccoli cheese quiche is one of my favorites and the cake sounds delicious. We had mimosas too;)

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie. I am home resting today. I hope to be feeling much better by tomorrow. I have a couple of things going on this week, one of which is that Ella, our new dog, is getting spayed. Hope all goes well with that.
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. Claudia, a beautiful Easter table and I wish I'd been invited. haha. Brunch sounds delectable and I need to get a copy of "Everyday Food" (is that Martha?). I will say I am (a) insanely jealous that you live near a Whole Foods and (b) impressed that you made it to a 7:30am church service. I was the one at the 10am service who nearly had to stand at the back as the place was full...

    xo's Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, and I hope you are feeling better!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri. Not feeling very well yet. Stayed home from work yesterday, but need to drag myself in today. Yesterday afternoon and last night were awful. It's like allergies on steroids: non-stop sneezing and runny nose. My poor nose is sore already!
      Claudia

      Delete
  5. Your quiche looks so good! I like the salad that you served with it.

    Will check out the recipe.

    My grand daughter had a little fever this evening, so something going around again I guess.
    Glad your day was wonderful.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delicious quiche and salad. I am a new visitor to your bungalow. I love your exterior colour scheme. I think I might make quiche for dinner tonight. Ann - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quiche look delicious. I have a bruch coming up I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are feeling well, Claudia. I rarely get sick either and came down with a cold a few weeks ago and my poor nose was red and raw from all the blowing! Coated it in ointment at night. I found an hour or two of relief each day with a facial steamer.

    Your Easter looked lovely. Quiche is a favorite over here too, not seen the spelt crust, will keep an eye out. We love ginger and cook with it and prepare our chai tea with it almost everyday. I am going to check out your link for the bundt cake which sounds so delicious.

    Have a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...