Thursday, April 25, 2013

Lunch Box Idea #1: White Bean and Broccoli Salad

I don't know about you, but I think coming up with healthy lunches each day can be challenging. I don't eat fast food, and frozen meals tend to be high in sodium and fat, but when I do stock up on them, I stick with Amy's brand. Everything is vegetarian and delicious. My favorites are the broccoli pot pie and anything Mexican! 

I am so lucky to live just a half mile from work, which means I go home for lunch each day. I'm able to visit with the dogs and let them out before grabbing something to eat. When there are leftovers, lunch is quick and easy. But when there aren't, I have to be creative. For a while I was on a fried egg sandwich kick, then a pimiento cheese sandwich kick, and last summer I was really good and made a lot of salads with the occasional almond butter and jam sandwich thrown in.

I was flipping through an old issue of Everyday Food recently and saw this recipe for white bean and broccoli salad -- minus the celery, which I didn't have on hand. It was a Sunday and I had some time to whip up this very healthy salad, which is quick, easy to make (no cooking required), nutritious and tasty. Plus, it made plenty for both my husband and me. The dressing is nonfat plain yogurt, red wine vinegar, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. We have a rosemary plant in the yard that has overwintered very nicely, so I just clipped a small sprig for this salad; if you don't like the taste of rosemary (it's quite noticeable in this recipe), you can use another fresh herb such as parsley or thyme. The cannellini beans add protein and the orange gives it a nice sweetness. You can find the recipe here. We had it with whole wheat flatbread, but crackers or a crusty French roll would also go well with it. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so interesting, Claudia. I would have never thought to add oranges. Your photography makes me want to dig right in! I am glad to hear about Amy's. I don't keep frozen entrees in the freezer except pizzas for our son and sometimes need something in a pinch. Pimiento cheese sandwiches are a guilty pleasure from childhood, yum! Easy to make homemade in the Cuisinart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudia,

    Thanks for sharing this! The addition of the orange and white beans really round out this dish making it super nutritious and high in fiber. A wonderful box lunch idea!

    I always keep the Amy's frozen food in my freezer. I've been using it since my kids (22 and 24) were babies. My daughter has grown up eating the lasagna. It's delicious!

    Hope you are enjoying a nice spring day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm! That looks yummy! I can't wait for idea #2 ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one perfect for me to enjoy at our shop!! I love pasta salads, and this is a fabulous alternative. Looks really pretty, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...