Monday, April 15, 2013

Spring Vegetable Soup



Isn't this soup pretty? I love the color green. It looks really healthy too, right? Well it is, but it's also really delicious! I made a few adjustments to the Everyday Food recipe to make it vegetarian (vegan, actually). I was pleasantly surprised at just how fantastic this soup is! It will definitely be one of my "go to" recipes from now on. I can even see making it in the summer and letting it cool to room temperature. Give it a try, and let me know what you think.

Vegetarian Spring Vegetable Soup


Directions:
1) In a medium pot, heat 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add 2 medium leeks (white and light green parts only) that have been halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices (be sure to rinse leeks thoroughly to remove all dirt; drain well), and 6 thinly sliced scallions (white and light green parts only). Cook, stirring frequently, until leeks and scallions are soft, about 6 minutes. Season with salt (I used about 1-1/4 teaspoon of coarse salt) and freshly ground pepper.

2) Add 5 cups of vegetable broth and 1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes); bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are barely tender, about 9 minutes. Taste, and add more salt or pepper, as needed.

3) Add 1/2 pound of fresh green beans (trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces) and cook until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes.

4) Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the leaves from one bunch of fresh parsley with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and process until finely chopped. Remove soup from heat and stir in parsley puree.

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! I agree, I could see it in the summer. Maybe even puréed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes and green beans is one of my favorite combinations. I'm sure if it's a nationwide thing, but boiled potatoes and beans is a classic summer combination that brings back a lot of memories. Of course, it was boiled beyond the point of recognition. Not pretty and fresh like this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pureed veges really give it a rich texture:) Beautiful recipe and so healthy!

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...