Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Reunion with Ella's Pup, Vivian

Last evening, Ella, the 10-year-old beagle we adopted in March, was reunited with one of her pups, 5-month-old Vivian, and with Karin, Ella's former foster mom. For those of you who aren't familiar with the story, last January, Ella had a litter of four puppies. All five dogs were surrendered to the county shelter by their owner when the pups were only 3 days old. 

Karin, a volunteer at the shelter, took Ella and her puppies home to foster them until the pups were weaned. We adopted Ella because we already have older dogs in the house, and there's a soft spot in my heart for older dogs who need homes. Karin ended up adopting Vivian, and Karin's friend adopted another of the pups. The remaining two were adopted out as well. With the exception of Vivian, all the pups are light golden brown in color with bits of white. We don't know what the father was, but he was apparently quite larger than Ella. Vivian, at 5 months, is already as big as her mama!




It was obvious that Ella recognized Vivian by the way she paid close attention to her. When Vivian whined, Ella perked up and checked on her. It was very sweet. Like her mom, Vivian loves to have her belly rubbed, and will quickly roll onto her back to make it easy for you.


Here's my husband, Paul, holding Vivian in our backyard. According to Karin, she is very cuddly and shares many of the same personality traits as Ella. She's precious, and I know she will grow up to be an awesome dog.



On a related note, here's another neat story I wanted to share. On Memorial Day, Paul and I went to a large farmers' market in a neighboring city. As we entered, we noticed a man walking an adorable puppy. We both commented on how cute it was. Later, on the other side of the market, we ran into the same man and his puppy. As we petted her, I asked what kind of dog she was and where they had gotten her. He said she was a Golden Retriever/beagle mix and they had adopted her from the shelter in the county we live in, though they live in a different county.

As we chatted, his wife walked up. I mentioned that all three of our dogs had come from the same county shelter, and the latest addition was a 10-year-old beagle who had had puppies in January. The wife looked at me and said their pup had been born in January and that her mother was a beagle. Knowing there had been two purebred beagles with puppies at the shelter at the same time, I asked if she knew the mama's name. She said it was Bella (Ella's former name). I turned to my husband and shrieked, "Paul, Paul, this is one of Ella's puppies!"

We were all in disbelief, but it was true. It was Rita (now called Roux), one of Ella's pups. What are the odds we'd all meet at a sprawling farmers' market that isn't close to either of our homes and then strike up a conversation that would lead to this discovery? If it weren't for my chatty nature, we might have just petted the puppy and walked off. I truly believe this connection was meant to be. I'm just sorry I didn't have my camera with me that day. I would love to have a photo of her.

Paul and I are thrilled to know that another of Ella's puppies is being loved and well cared for by such nice people who clearly love dogs. Plus, they live on a lake, so Roux will have a very happy life indeed.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved this! Dogs are the most wonderful creatures God put on this earth.

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this. Dogs are the best thing in the world. I always say there is nothing better than a puppy....except a dog and the the only thing better than a dog is an old dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole thing is just so sweet I can't stand it. Not sure why but it's certainly no accident you ran into those people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely story ! I commend you for giving a loving home to elderly dogs - they are the most loving and sweet animals that God put on this earth for us to care for.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I'm so glad they were able to meet ~ and look at the fun they are having! Wonderful story.. I too commend you for all that you do for these wonderful creatures:) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ella and her puppies lead a charmed life! They were born under a lucky star for sure, and I'm so glad you get to be part of their good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story!!! What are the chances?! Love it! I'm so happy Ella got to see one of her babies :) I'm thrilled Ella has you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both Ella's puppies stories. So fun to serendipitously run into one at a farmer's market, crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a heart-warming story. I needed to read that today (downer week)! Ella is beautiful and so is Vivian and the story about finding Roux is so amazing! Heart is happy now....

    Loved seeing your hubby adoringly admiring V. :)

    P.S. Envy your strawberry-picking weather!!!!!! ANd your strawberries!!!! LOVE!

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very neat story, Claudia. It's the best post I've read in a long time. As a dog lover, this made me smile big time :) Wish you had a photo of Roux to share!
    xo
    Loi
    PS - They have such a crazy yet cute look in that first photo, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVED this story Claudia!! I have tears in my eyes. So precious!
    xxojoan

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...