Monday, May 6, 2013

Lunch Box Idea #3: Lentil Salad


Here is the third in my series of healthy lunch suggestions. After this I'm going to take a break from lunch ideas, at least for a while. What a delicious, healthy salad this is, and so easy to prepare! Just combine small brown lentils with celery, walnuts, feta, red grapes and a slightly sweet vinaigrette dressing. I simplified the recipe by using ready-to-eat lentils from Trader Joe's (featured here). 

A note for those who enjoy collecting kitchen ware: the green glass container above is a vintage refrigerator dish (there is a matching lid). I enjoy searching for these at antiques stores and fairs. I have another green dish that's rectangular (and quite heavy!) and a really pretty square dish in a deep teal color, which I've only seen once. I have many clear dishes as well, both round and square. This small green dish was just right for a lunch serving of lentil salad -- I like the way it made the celery stand out. It's the little things ....

Lentil Salad with Feta, Walnuts and Red Grapes

Directions:
1) In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 2 teaspoons honey and 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Season with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. 

2) In a large bowl, combine 3 cups cooked brown lentils (or a 17.6 ounce package of cooked lentils from Trader Joe's), 3/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts, 1-1/2 cups seedless red grapes, halved, and 1 celery stalk, sliced. Pour dressing over lentil mixture and stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese and toss gently. Enjoy!

Adapted from Everyday Food

3 comments:

  1. Love this one. The feta and grapes would create a nice balance of salt and sweet.

    I'm not sure I've ever seen these dishes. I'll have to watch for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds fabulous! Lentil and grape has me very interested. I'll bet it's a great combo.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...