Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Cherry Picking

.
A few weeks ago, we drove up to the mountains to pick cherries at an orchard that has very narrow and bumpy dirt roads, spectacular views, and lots of wobbly ladders leaning against tall trees ripe for picking. 

I'll be honest, I'm not crazy about heights. I'm fine on the top floors of a tall skyscraper. I can walk right up to a window or railing and look down at the street below without any problem. But a few rungs up on a ladder and my hands are getting clammy. So why would I choose to go cherry picking, you ask? Because I'm clearly more concerned with creating a good blog post than I am with my own safety (smile). And because it's been years since we last did this and I didn't recall how scary it can be. I might have been smiling in this photo, but I was holding on for dear life. And when my ladder shifted slightly with the breeze, I hightailed it off that thing and picked as many low-hanging cherries as I could.

.
Because of all the rain this spring, most of the cherries had split, so it wasn't easy picking. Splitting doesn't affect their taste, but it means the cherries won't last as long. There were also quite a few cherries on the trees that were starting to spoil. I have to admit, after driving all that way, I was pretty disappointed. 

We were actually on our way back to the car when we noticed one tree that had lots of beautiful, unsplit -- though slightly unripe -- cherries on it. Apparently everyone had passed this tree on their way down the orchard's sloping terrain in search of darker cherries. So we loaded up our bucket and left with about six pounds of fruit! They may be a little tart for eating, but they're great for baking.

In my next post, I'll share with you a delicious cherry dessert I made. Stay tuned!


7 comments:

  1. What fun! Cherries are delicious and so good for you. Looks like a fun afternoon and your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had several cherry trees on our property growing up so they're very nostalgic for me. There are few things prettier than a tree covered in ripe fruit! It looks like a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colors in those cherries!
    I don't do heights AT ALL, so this would not be the thing for me! No, I take the elevator in the metro in D.C. as I can't do those long escalators. I can't go anywhere near a window in a tall building or look over the edge on a bridge!!! And it's only getting worse with age.... ah well, I DO eat cherries and cherry desserts very well though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Look at those perfect cherries :) Cherry pie?? I am also afraid of heights. No way would I climb up there! You are a trooper!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous cherries! Love that shade of red. I am a complete cherry pig. I eat way too many! Just had some this evening. Have never picked them though.

    I too am so afraid of heights. I have tried to wean the fear out and have walked across bridges and zip lined with our kids. I can't believe I torture myself. All three go on roller coasters and our boys have rock climbed. Thank goodness no one inherited the fear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous views too, Claudia! What mountains are in the distance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, those are the Blue Ridge Mountains. Thanks for your comments!
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...