Thursday, July 25, 2013

Blueberry Crumble


After a bad blueberry season last year, my husband and I were eager to pick a few gallons this year, so we headed over to a blueberry farm about 25 minutes from our home. We picked two gallons of blueberries and purchased a third gallon of pre-picked berries. The bushes were loaded, but it was still slow going because a good number of berries were either too ripe or not ripe enough. Since I'm a perfectionist, I'm very selective and it takes me a long time to pick fruit. The next day, I spent a chunk of time sorting, washing and freezing the berries. Do you know how many blueberries are in a gallon? I don't, but it sure is a bunch! By the end of two gallons, I was sick of looking at blueberries.

There's a wonderful blueberry tart that I featured here on the blog a few years ago. Every summer I make one, but this year I wanted to try something different that would be faster to make. I chose a crumble that uses 6 cups of berries (which, by the way, doesn't even make a dent in 3 gallons). This crumble is delicious, so I wanted to share the recipe with you. 

One note: I forgot to include the 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the filling, but it tasted wonderful without it. Next time I will try using 1/4 teaspoon salt in the filling to see if it enhances the flavor of the berries.

Blueberry Crumble

Filling:
6 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
5 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

Topping:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and salt; stir gently to combine. Transfer to an 8" square baking dish.

2) In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt and, using your hands, mix until large pieces form. Scatter topping over blueberry filling.

3) Bake until center is bubbling, 40 to 50 minutes, tenting loosely with foil after 30 minutes if needed to prevent topping from getting too brown (I baked my crumble for 40 minutes and didn't tent with foil because I forgot that step; fortunately, the topping was perfect). Let cool about 20 minutes before serving. This would be delicious served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 
from Everyday Food

My husband says this blueberry crumble is now one of his favorite summer desserts. What's your favorite summer fruit to use in desserts: strawberries, peaches, blackberries, plums, something else ...?


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying a bountiful berry harvest! This looks wonderful. I always have fresh and frozen blueberries on hand. I'll look forward to trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deee-lish, Claudia!!! Can I add ice cream on top? :) Reminds me of all the wild blueberry pies and crisps we had in Maine. YUM!!
    x Loi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crumbles or crisps--since I can't eat eggs--are my favorite dessert any time of year.

    This time of year I love grilling peaches served with a scoop of mascarpone cheese (into which a little vanilla is mixed) drizzled with honey with the little chopped mint on top. To die for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Claudia! You always post the most gorgeous recipes! Yum! Hope you are well and you and your husband and pups are having a good summer! This is funny- I woke up today and thought "I need to stop over at Claudia's" and then I found your comment (thank you;) on the blog! thinking of you and the pups....
    xxoj.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...