Friday, July 19, 2013

Frozen Fudge Bars


I just made the most yummy frozen fudge bars this summer and they've quickly become one of my very favorite summer treats. They're incredibly creamy and chocolaty! The first time I made them, I followed the recipe exactly. The second time I made them, I substituted skim milk for whole milk, and they were still deliciously rich and creamy. I also omitted the vanilla the second time around and didn't notice any difference. If you're a chocolate fan like I am, definitely give these bars a try. What's your favorite frozen treat? 

Frozen Fudge Bars

Ingredients
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1-1/2 cups whole milk or skim milk, divided
1-1/3 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (optional)

Directions
1) In a medium saucepan, whisk together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of the milk until smooth. Whisk in remaining milk, cream, sugar, cocoa and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, and cook 1 minute.

2) Transfer to a large heat-proof measuring cup and stir in vanilla. Let cool several minutes, skim off any skin that has formed on top and pour into ice-pop molds (Note: the recipe doesn't say to let cool, but I don't like the idea of putting super-hot liquid into a plastic container -- not healthy!). Freeze several hours until solid. To release the bars, briefly run the mold under warm water.
from Everyday Food

4 comments:

  1. That looks amazingly yummy and perfect for today - about 110 degrees in DC with the humidity!! I could have 3 or 4 frozen fudge bars :)
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's not to love? They sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum, making your own fudge bars sounds liek a great idea. I'll have to try this soon while the weather's warm.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claudia, the girls and I made your fudge bars today and enjoyed them for dessert. Such fun and SO good! We even found new popsicle molds at Ikea the other day that we bought especially for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...