Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Tofu, Vegetables and Peanut Sauce


Quick, healthy, simple, delicious. This dish has all the right stuff. I've wanted to make it for quite some time, but haven't because my husband doesn't care for savory dishes that have a strong peanut flavor. Any time I'd mention a main dish with a peanut sauce, he'd cringe. So when I made this for supper recently, I was prepared for him to fix something different for himself. However, he approached this dish with an open mind, gave it a try and liked it. I mean, really liked it! The peanut butter combined with the soy sauce, rice vinegar and brown sugar makes a delicious, subtle sauce. This is going to be one of my "go to" weeknight recipes, for sure.

Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Tofu, Vegetables and Peanut Sauce

Ingredients:
8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
4 ounces snow peas, tough strings removed
2 large carrots, peeled then shaved into strips with a veggie peeler
1 container (8 oz) of extra firm cubed tofu, drained (I used pre-cubed tofu to save time, but you can buy a block of tofu and dice it yourself, making the cubes larger if you wish)
3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar

Directions:
1) Cook spaghetti in large pot of boiling water until al dente according to package. While pasta is cooking, combine peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sugar in small bowl, stirring well; set aside.

2) Before pasta is done cooking, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. When the timer shows about 15 seconds remaining, add the snow peas, carrots and tofu to the pot. Drain pasta mixture and return it to pot. Pour peanut sauce over pasta mixture and toss gently, adding reserved pasta water a little at a time to make a thin sauce (you may not need all the water). Season with coarse salt and fresh pepper. Note: try it topped with fresh cilantro and finely chopped roasted peanuts. Enjoy!

from Everyday Food

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear me, that looks good. Great idea to add the tofu. I just adore peanut sauce. I've been making a fresh summer Thai salad with crunchy cabbage as the base and it is just delicious.

    Will have to try this one too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...