Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Nectarine and Hazelnut Galette





I hope my friends in the states enjoyed a relaxing, long Labor Day weekend. Ours was quite low-key. My husband came down with some sickness Thursday evening and stayed home from work Friday. Rather than feeling better, he got worse as the weekend progressed. We did make it to the movies on Saturday to see Blue Jasmine starring Cate Blanchett (her performance was excellent). But the rest of the time we laid low, my husband spending most of the weekend in bed. Poor guy.

Early Sunday morning I took advantage of the cool morning air to do some deadheading on our large dahlia plant. I was enjoying the quiet and the cool air when all of a sudden I was stung on my left pinkie finger by a bumble bee. Apparently he had been asleep in one of the flowers and didn't appreciate the rude awakening. Boy, did it hurt! Ice and Advil were somewhat helpful, and by Sunday afternoon my finger was a little better. But Monday morning I awoke with a much more swollen finger that was red, hot and extremely itchy. The redness had spread into the knuckle area of my left hand. I was starting to think it might be infected, but a friend advised me to give it some time, saying the second and third days after a bee sting can feel even worse. 

As Monday progressed, my finger began to show signs of improvement, so I decided to do some baking. I had some pretty nectarines from the farmer's market which were perfect for a nectarine and hazelnut galette from Everyday Food. You can find the recipe here.

As with most recipes, the actual prep time takes a lot longer than the prep time stated. This recipe has the prep time at 20 minutes. What? It took me nearly that long to remove all the pesky skins from the hazelnuts! All in all, I found this recipe to be a little labor intensive, but the end result is delicious. Sadly, my husband didn't care for it. He's not a fan of stone fruit desserts (something about the texture of the fruit once it's cooked). If you give it a try, let me know what you think!

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious Claudia and a wonderful to use the left over nectarines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a weekend! What a bummer to be sick and stung. I got stung by a wasp a few years ago for the first time in life and I couldn't believe how much it hurt. Glad you're both feeling better.

    The dessert LOOKS awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could your galette be any more beautiful? Really looks so delicious. Fruit desserts are my favorite, you had to have made hubby feel better with that! Fall is in the air up here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's not a competition, but yours looks better than Martha's. I want some now!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...