Monday, October 7, 2013

Butternut Squash and Corn Chowder


I made this delicious butternut squash and corn chowder last spring, but saved the post for autumn -- soup season. This chowder is incredible. It's very easy to make. The trickiest part is peeling the squash. Enjoy it with some pumpernickel bread or a crusty roll. I'm a huge fan of pumpernickel -- how about you? I think it's a taste you either love or hate. Growing up, my mom used to make salami and cream cheese sandwiches on pumpernickel bread. Mmmm, sometimes I miss salami ...

A few notes about this chowder recipe: I slightly increased the amount of vegetable broth and bought a butternut squash that was about a pound more than the recipe called for. Since we love curry powder, I think I would add a little more curry next time, maybe another 1/2 teaspoon. The recipe calls for heavy cream, which I used, but I think half & half would be fine, making it lighter. It might even be good without any dairy, if you're vegan. Enjoy!

Butternut Squash and Corn Chowder
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 to 2-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1" chunks
1 medium onion
1 (10 oz) box frozen yellow corn kernels, thawed
1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
coarse salt and ground pepper
32 ounces vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions:
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add squash and onion and cook, stirring, until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Add corn and curry powder; cook until curry is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add vegetable broth and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes.

In a blender, blend half the soup until smooth. Or use an immersion hand blender and blend until about half the soup is smooth (this is the method I used -- less clean-up). Return soup to pot, if using a blender, and stir in cream; heat through over medium-low (do not boil).

adapted from Everyday Food

6 comments:

  1. This combination sounds lovely... will have to file it away to try... thanks for the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous color and I'm sure it's delicious. You need that cream:);) I always add it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes! THis sounds absolutely delicious and perfect: I am a soup person! I'm going to print out right now and put in my book. Actually, I'm going to spend the weekend with my daughter in D.C. and we just might have to make this. I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please let me know if you try it, Libby!

      Delete
  4. I made this a couple of days ago and it is delicious!! Thank you - I'm having some now for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you made this soup and like it! Thanks for the feedback, Laura.

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...