Monday, November 11, 2013

Pastel Drawings

Back in September, my husband and I attended an outdoor art festival on a lovely, warm day. Many wonderful artists -- from painters and sculptors to wood workers and jewelers -- were selling their art. Our next-door neighbor, who is a metalsmith, had a booth there and my husband bought one of her necklaces for me as a gift. 

Another exhibitor at the show was one of our favorite pastel artists. Many years ago I took two of his drawing classes. Pastels are one of my favorite mediums. I love their soft texture and rich colors -- they're great to work with. 

When my husband and I saw this drawing of the Tuscan hills at the art festival, we immediately loved it. We knew its touches of terra-cotta would go perfectly with the wall color in our dining room, which is Pennywise by Sherwin-Williams.



The only thing we didn't care for was the frame. It was thin and too brassy and didn't complement the drawing well. We purchased the piece knowing we would have it reframed. We went to our favorite frame shop and chose this Italian-made frame (how appropriate for a drawing of Tuscany!). We love that it has a hint of gold without being brassy, and the lines pick up on the detail of the field rows in the drawing.



Below is another of this artist's drawings, which we purchased many years ago. I think I'll take this drawing to the frame shop next weekend and choose a new frame for it -- something that will enhance the subject matter. A frame can make or break a piece of art. 



Below are two drawings I made in classes 12 or 13 years ago. The instructor let each student choose a drawing, which he framed for us -- apparently this style of frame is one he uses most frequently. I don't think I'll invest in new frames for either of these drawings, both of which are currently hanging in our kitchen.





So that's a little peek at our pastel artwork. This kind of makes me want to break out my box of pastels and get started on a new drawing. It's been years since I've done this type of art, and honestly, I wish I found the process more enjoyable. I'm such a perfectionist and I actually find the creative process a bit stressful. Deep down, I'd love to get back into pastels, but I need to learn how to relax, enjoy the experience and not be so tough on myself. Any artists out there with tips on how to do this?

7 comments:

  1. Claudia, keep painting! You're very talented. Thanks for sharing! - Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction, keep drawing too! -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pastels are great! I especially like the geraniums. I know what you mean creating art being stressful sometimes. I've been taking oil painting classes for a year and a half now. Sometimes it goes really well and is exhilarating, but at other times it's just a pile-on of stress I don't need! Luckily I have a great teacher who can help me through the tough spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! It's good to know I'm not the only one who stresses when creating artwork. Glad to hear you have a good instructor. Keep painting!
      Claudia

      Delete
  4. I love all your pastel artworks... your own ones are especially lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...